Pakistani Bloggers
Previous • Next
Random • List All
• Join •
CrickRock Webrings
Rambling on: time warp

Saturday, September 18, 2004

time warp

a comment by 'walter ego' on a very old blog has pointed to a time warp & it has got me thinking what triggered interest in a specific kind of music

you know....like you can pinpoint a time in your life when a specific song moves you in a certain way, 'learning to fly' by pink floyd was the first, a lot of bob dylan, sting & tom petty especially the latter because of his rock love-ballad called "here comes my girl".

sting's 'nothing like the sun' album (inspired by shakespeare 'my mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun') & its unique jazz sound thanks to one of the marsalis brothers

have loved all sting has produced specially a line from his 'dream of the blue turtles' album,
'if you love some one, set them free', one has got to believe in this

music has told me a lot about myself - for starters it broke the shackles of teenage self-doubt and now much older (& hopefully wiser) it remains a companion - what would one do without the memory of time spent singing for someone you love

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog while googling Mekaal Hasan's music. Recently introduced to this , re-sparked an interest in Pakistani music. I'll be watching your blogs for some recommendations. So maybe my interest in this music is telling me to get back to my roots?
But, I can't stop listening to Beck either - so I suppose I am just another partitioned person.
Walter ego

1:52 AM  
Blogger Jalal said...

There is always some singer or song that changes the way you look at musid.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Deevaan said...

hi walter ego, at the expense of sounding cliche, like truth, music has the power to set you free. am glad that music is driving you close to your roots. you are most welcome to drop in any time and look for recommendations. i never knew that a google search for Mekaal hasan (MHB) was link up to my blog. in any case there is a brief review of MHB on July 1, '04. will come up with some recommendations so i guess, watch this space for more. thanks for dropping by

11:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

like humans, music do shape us. It's but physical and natural, no? As jalal said some songs change the way you look at music, I say, hell it changes the way you see things in life, and beyond even, no, deevan?

5:56 PM  
Blogger Deevaan said...

ejaz you are right. music is an extremely potent force, don't know what got me to post this, maybe was an episode from the past which i remembered - a time when was doing poorly in most subjects and then i started taking the walkman to the library. music changed my study habits, maybe gave me the emotional release and i saw myself having more fun while studying in particular & have more grasp and control on my life in general

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dig deep enough in Google and all kinds of connections appear.
I'll go to the blog you have pointed me to for MHB.
Walter ego

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, but that was the way I came in here!
Walter ego

10:19 PM  
Blogger Deevaan said...

hi walter, am glad google has brought you here. have been thinking about a short list of recommendations on pakistani music that you could listen to..allow me a couple of days...mondays and tuesdays are a bit tough but the more i think of this list, the more fun i am having re-tracing the paths ventured on in the past...will have something for you soon...regards Naveed

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(I had meant to say , the MHB Blog , was how I got here - so I completed a full circle).
Anyway, take your time making up the list. Don't just take days, take weeks, take months; I won't be in Pakistan until late December so won't be able to buy any Pakistani music till then.
(W)alter ego

2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home